A key component of a happy and healthy life is physical health and wellness. This section provides a comprehensive set of medical and vitality tools to help you find the answers to health-related questions.
Life is not merely to be alive, but to be well. -- Marcus Valerius Martial
He who has health has hope; and he who has hope has everything. -- Arabic Proverb
Empowering Health and Wellness Articles
- Avoid Getting Sick: Seven Tips for Helping Your Immune System Protect You from Illness, by Dr. Randall S. Hansen
- Fend Off Cancer (and Other Diseases) With Four Changes to Your Life, by Dr. Randall S. Hansen
- Forgiveness: The Health Alternative, by Lori Rubenstein.
- Holiday Health Tips: Staying Sane, Keeping Well, by Dr. Randall S. Hansen
- How to Improve Your Life: Five Quick Tips to Better Living, by Dr. Randall S. Hansen
- Life Fitness Planning: Becoming Fit and Healthy in All Aspects of Your Life, by Dr. Randall S. Hansen
- Live Happier: Keys to Making and Keeping New Year's Resolutions, by Dr. Randall S. Hansen
- The Nine Steps of Wellness: Live a Better Life, by Dr. Randall S. Hansen
- Now is the Time to Help Yourself by Helping Others: 10 Ways to Serve Your Community, by Dr. Randall S. Hansen
- 10 Quick Sleep Tips for Helping Stay Healthy, by Dr. Randall S. Hansen
- Top 10 New Year's Resolutions: Any of These Popular Life-Changing Goals Yours?, by Dr. Randall S. Hansen
- W.A.L.K. (Technique) For Life: A Guide to Better Health, by Dr. Randall S. Hansen More coming soon!
Empowering Health and Wellness Blogs
- Chinese Medicine News -- a blog about alternative medicines and medical breakthroughs; an independent, trustable, and credible source of information about this centuries-old medicine examined under the microscope of modern science.
- Deserved Health -- an easy-to-read, in-depth, authoritative medical information blog updated daily with articles for consumers. Includes a large health article archive, as well as a health newsletter sent 2 times a month to subscribers.
- Evolving Wellness -- this blog provides readers with access to lots of information on some of the most important topics regarding your health, fitness, the foods you eat, the air you breathe, the water you drink, the personal products you use, and much more.
- Feeling Outstanding -- discussion of natural, herbal, and homeopathic remedies to everyday health problems with an emphasis on enjoying life and having fun.
- Health Blogs -- a blog that provides a place for people to journal about health and well-being. Visitors can join the discussion and tell their stories related to health, medical issues, and wellness. Its mission is to offer the opportunity for the sharing of experiences and information related to health.
- HealthDay -- a professional health news blog produced by ScoutNews, LLC. Each weekday, HealthDay's award-winning reporters produce up to 20 articles covering the latest health news covering more than 700 health topics, from alcohol to Zoloft.
- Healthy Feeling -- a blog not just about being in the best of your physical health, but also about having a healthy mind and a healthy personality. Health Feeling talks about how we can be fit, energetic, and also be blessed with peace of mind.
- My Health -- a blog about sharing health information, including physical, mental, spiritual, dietary, social, and community. Aimed to educate and develop a healthy society physically and mentally, and other aspects of life.
Empowering Health and Wellness Links
- AEGIS -- a comprehensive web-based source for HIV/AIDS-related information, including reference materials and late-breaking information from HIV/AIDS-specific publications and news sources from around the world.
- eHealthInfoLine -- answers to the most commonly asked medical and health questions including heart disease, plastic surgery, eczema and arthritis.
- Essential Wellness -- a site whose mission is to disseminate holistic information about becoming and staying well -- physically, emotionally, mentally, and spiritually.
- FamilyDoctor.org -- a very large amount of health-related information for the whole family, from the American Academy of Family Physicians, a national medical organization representing more than 93,700 family physicians, family practice residents and medical students.
- 4CollegeWomen.org -- developed by Brandeis University college students for college students everywhere. It provides a portal to a wealth of non-commercial health information resources.
- girlshealth.gov -- created by the Office on Women's Health in the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services to help girls (ages 10-16) learn about health, growing up, and issues they may face. It focuses on health topics that girls are concerned about and helps motivate them to choose healthy behaviors by using positive, supportive, and non-threatening messages.
- HealthAtoZ -- a comprehensive health and medical resource developed by health care professionals that aims to improve healthcare by empowering consumers with the online health programs, information and technology that help them make healthy lifestyle changes for themselves and their families.
- HealthCentral.com -- one of the most trusted sources of medical information and up-to-date news and contains a doctor-approved health encyclopedia of diseases and conditions, the ability to find symptoms and treatments. Also includes drug information with side effects and interactions.
- HealthFinder -- an award-winning government Website for consumers, developed by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, together with other Federal agencies. Since 1997, it has been recognized as a key resource for finding the best government and nonprofit health and human services information on the Internet.
- Health Grades -- a site where you can find quality ratings and cost information for the nation's 5,000 hospitals and 16,000 nursing homes, as well as in-depth profiles of the nation's 650,000 physicians.
- HealthierUS.gov -- a national effort to improve people's lives, prevent and reduce the costs of disease, and promote community health and wellness. Learn how to make physical activity part of your day, eat more healthy foods, protect yourself and your family from illness, and avoid risks to your health and the health of your loved ones.
- Health Links -- an online healthcare and medicl portal for consumers and professionals, providing links to health services and products, alternative health, education, dental and medical resources, hospitals, healthcare publications, and much more.
- Healthology -- one of the leading producers and distributors of physician-generated health and medical information -- including both text-based and videos -- for consumers, patients, and health professionals.
- Healthopedia.com -- a gold mine of good medical and health information containing an accurate and reliable database of health articles and reference materials. Includes a medical and health consumer information resource containing comprehensive and unbiased information in patient-friendly language on more than 1,500 health topics and more than 11,000 drugs and medications.
- HealthSquare.com -- find clear, concise news and information about prescription drugs, drug interactions, and side effects. Researched and written by health experts for consumers and professionals.
- HealthWorld Online -- a health resource center -- a virtual health village -- where you can access information, products, and services to help create your wellness-based lifestyle, including natural health, wellness, self-care and alternative medicine.
- Healthy People -- a comprehensive set of disease prevention and health promotion objectives for the U.S. people to achieve over the first decade of the new century. Created by scientists both inside and outside of government, it identifies a wide range of public health priorities and specific, measurable objectives.
- HealthyU: Your Pathway to Wellness -- from the health and wellness program of Northwestern Health Sciences University, providing useful information and resources you can trust to help empower you to take control of your health and well-being naturally and make decisions that are best for you.
- HealthyWomen.org -- from the National Women's Health Resource Center, this site provides women in-depth, objective, physician-approved information on a broad range of women's health issues. More than 100 topics in its health library, including the latest medical advancements in each field.
- Male Health Center -- offers an encyclopedia of information on male health issues ranging from wellness and nutrition to vasectomy, sexual dysfunction, and prostate cancer.
- Mayo Clinic -- provides information and services from the world's first and largest integrated, not-for-profit group medical practice. Manage your health with information and tools that reflect the expertise of Mayo's 3,400 physicians and scientists.
- MedicineNet.com -- provides easy-to-read, in-depth, authoritative medical information for consumers on a variety of topics, including medications, procedures and tests, diseases and conditions, symptoms and signs, and a medical term dictionary.
- MedlinePlus -- provides a plethora of health-related information from National Library of Medicine, the National Institutes of Health, and other government agencies and health-related organizations. Includes extensive information about drugs, an illustrated medical encyclopedia, interactive patient tutorials, and latest health news.
- Natural Health and Longevity Resource Center -- find the latest news and information on natural health, alternative medicine, holistic medicine, alternative therapies, herbal medicine, natural healing, herbs, nutritional therapies, longevity research, and more.
- NaturalNews.com -- offers thousands of articles and dozens of downloadable wellness reports and guides that are designed to educate and empower individuals, families, and communities so that they may experience improved health, awareness, and life fulfillment.
- NetWellness -- a non-profit consumer health Website that provides high-quality health-related information and educational services -- created and evaluated by medical and health professional faculty at Case Western Reserve University, Ohio State University, and University of Cincinnati.
- Planned Parenthood -- for more than 90 years, this non-profit organization has been nation's leading women's healthcare provider, educator, and advocate, serving women, men, teens, and families -- and this site provides a wealth of reproductive health and rights information, services, and resources.
- Revolution Health -- a free, comprehensive health and medical information site, specifically designed with the Family's Chief Medical Officer ? women and other caregivers ? in mind, offering health information as well as more than 125 online tools aimed at helping individuals take control of their well-being.
- Seek Wellness -- this site's mission is to encourage, empower, and support healthcare consumers to improve their level of wellness by providing information, services and products, all chosen with the consumer's best interests in mind. Site owned by a group of professional healthcare providers and consumers.
- Tools for Wellness -- a guide to products for everything from cognitive enhancement to consciousness exploration and expansion to defense against harmful environmental influences to self-improvement and living smarter.
- WebMD -- leading source for trustworthy and timely health and medical news and information. Provides credible health information, supportive community, and educational services by blending award-winning expertise in content, community services, expert commentary, and medical review.
- Wellness.com -- learn more about achieving health and happiness while meeting like-minded people, new friends, and experts who can enhance our lives. Includes wellness and health providers, community, and resources. Find a doctor, research health conditions.
- Wellness Letter -- the newsletter of nutrition, fitness, and self-care from the School of Public Health at UC Berkeley. It translates this leading-edge research into practical advice for daily living-at home, at work, while exercising, and in the market or health-food store.
- Wellsphere -- the mission of this site is mission is to help people live healthier, happier lives by connecting them with the knowledge, people, and tools they need to manage and improve their health. Visitors can find comprehensive, personal answers and support for specific health needs.
- Womens-Health.com -- a women's support community, with more than 50 wellness-related forums, as well as an extensive health and medical library provided by a network of 20,000 licensed and practicing physicians -- with full articles and streaming video.
- womenshealth.gov -- a service of the Office on Women's Health in the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, providing reliable and current information on women?s health today on more than 800 topics -- in both English and Spanish.
- Words of Wellness -- with tools to provide wellness tips in these "wellness channels:" finance, relationships, spirituality, health and fitness, family, career, happiness, diet and nutrition, and lifestyle... with links to blogs on each of the major topics.
- Yahoo! Health -- find health news and information on wellness, diet, fitness, weight loss, mental health, anti-aging, conditions & diseases, drugs & medications, and more.
- Young Men's Health -- from Children's Hospital Boston, this site provides quality health information and health education for adolescent boys and young men o help teen boys improve their understanding of normal health and development, as well as of specific diseases and conditions.
Empowering Health and Wellness BooksFEATURED WELLNESS BOOK:
- Healthy Living Made Easy: The Only Things You Need to Know about Diet, Exercise and Supplements, by Steven Whiting. A book written to illustrate the simplicity of living a healthier lifestyle that takes the only three factors that really matter to one's health, namely diet, exercise and supplementation and shows how each may be implemented in one's life without major impact, changes or expenses. The number one reason why people don't attempt to live a healthier lifestyle is that they feel it is too difficult or restrictive -- and this book shows just how few changes are necessary to dramatically improve one's health and the prospest of a longer life.
OTHER WELLNESS BOOKS:
- Anticancer: A New Way of Life: A New Way of Life, by David Servan-Schreiber, M.D., Ph.D.
- Breakthrough: Eight Steps to Wellness, by Suzanne Somers.
- Cell-Level Healing: The Bridge from Soul to Cell , by Joyce Whiteley Hawkes .
- The China Study: The Most Comprehensive Study of Nutrition Ever Conducted and the Startling Implications for Diet, Weight Loss and Long-term Health, by T. Colin Campbell, Ph.D., with Thomas M. Campbell.
- Concepts of Fitness and Wellness: A Comprehensive Lifestyle Approach, by Charles B. Corbin, Gregory J Welk, William R Corbin, and Karen A Welk.
- Discover Wellness: How Staying Healthy Can Make You Rich, by Bob Hoffman and Jason Deitch.
- The Edge Effect: Achieve Total Health and Longevity with the Balanced Brain Advantage, by Eric R. Braverman, M.D.
- The Egoscue Method of Health Through Motion: Revolutionary Program That Lets You Rediscover the Body's Power to Rejuvenate It, by Pete Egoscue.
- How Not to Look Old: Fast and Effortless Ways to Look 10 Years Younger, 10 Pounds Lighter, 10 Times Better, by Charla Krupp .
- Magnificent Mind at Any Age: Natural Ways to Unleash Your Brain's Maximum Potential, by Daniel G. Amen, MD.
- Pain Free: A Revolutionary Method for Stopping Chronic Pain, by Pete Egoscue.
- Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease: The Revolutionary, Scientifically Proven, Nutrition-Based Cure, by Caldwell B. Esselstyn.
- Quantum Wellness: A Practical and Spiritual Guide to Health and Happiness, by Kathy Freston.
- The Spectrum: A Scientifically Proven Program to Feel Better, Live Longer, Lose Weight, and Gain Health, by Dean Ornish.
- The Total Cancer Wellness Guide: Reclaiming Your Life After Diagnosis, by Kim Thiboldeaux and Mitch Golant, Ph.D.
- Wellness Workbook: How to Achieve Enduring Health and Vitality, by John W. Travis and Regina Sara Ryan.
- The Wisdom of Menopause: Creating Physical and Emotional Health and Healing During the Change, by Christiane Northrup.
- Younger Next Year: Live Strong, Fit, and Sexy—Until You're 80 and Beyond, by Chris Crowley and Henry S. Lodge, M.D.
- Younger You: Unlock the Hidden Power of Your Brain to Look and Feel 15 Years Younger, by Eric R. Braverman, M.D.
- You: Staying Young: The Owner's Manual for Extending Your Warranty, by Michael F. Roizen, M.D., Mehmet C. Oz, M.D.