Healthy eating is essential to a happy life. Find empowering nutrition and diet resources, including recipes, for meat-eaters, vegans, and vegetarians.
Don't dig your grave with your own knife and fork. -- English Proverb
Those who think they have no time for healthy eating, will sooner or later have to find time for illness. -- Edward Stanley
Diet and nutrition affect the body, mind, and spirit, becoming one of the most important elements for a happy and healthy life. It's sometimes easier for us to eat junk food because of its convenience, but watching what we eat and finding new recipes for our favorite foods should be something we all do -- because a healthy lifestyle beats fad diets and other short-term fixes.
Empowering Nutrition, Diet, and Recipe ArticlesBrain Foods: Add These Foods to Your Diet to Improve Brain Function, by Dr. Randall S. Hansen. Do's and Don'ts of Healthy Dieting: Eat, Exercise, and Lose Weight, by Dr. Randall S. Hansen. Healthy Herbs With Amazing Powers That Should be in Your Meals -- and in Your Garden, by Dr. Randall S. Hansen. If Not Sugar, Than What? Sweeteners That are Healthier Than Sugar -- and Which Will Save Your Life, by Dr. Randall S. Hansen. Live Longer. Eat Healthier Daily. Best Foods for You, A-Z, by Dr. Randall S. Hansen. Purge Your Pantry to Pursue Health and Wellness, by Dr. Randall S. Hansen. Take These Supplements for Better Health and Wellness, by Dr. Randall S. Hansen. 10 Easy Tips for Healthier Eating, by Dr. Randall S. Hansen. 10 Quick Diet Tips and Ideas for Healthy Eating, by Dr. Randall S. Hansen. 20 Quick Eating Tips for a Better, Healthier Diet, by Dr. Randall S. Hansen. Why Subscribe to a Community-Supported Agriculture (CSA) Program? by Dr. Katharine Hansen. More coming soon!
Empowering Retreat Healthy (No Sugar) RecipesTasty Buttermilk Ranch Salad Dressing Recipe Delicious and Nutritious Crispy Kale Chip Recipe Mouth-Watering Rosemary-Garlic Lamb Roast Mouth-Watering Garlic-Herb Standing Rib Roast Recipe Yummy Low-Carb Blueberry Muffin Recipe Low-Carb Almond Flour Pound Cake Muffin Recipe Low-Carb Holiday Pecan Pie Muffin Recipe Delicious Low-Carb Cheesecake Muffin Recipe Scrumptious Low-Carb Craisin Coffeecake Muffin Recipe Sublimely Wonderful Zucchini Brownie Recipe Amazingly Delicious Zucchini Cookie Recipe More coming soon!
Empowering Nutrition, Diet, and Recipe Blogs
- Beyond Recipes: A Food and Recipe Blog -- a food and recipe blog for people who love food and cooking. There are step-by-step recipes, restaurant recommendations, and food product recommendations.
- Body Ecology Diet Blog -- a diet blog for people who suffer from immune disorders, candida-related imbalances, or a general lack of well-being. The Body Ecoogy Diet establishes and nourishes the growth of beneficial microorganisms in the digestive tract. This 'microscopic militia' serves as your body's key line of defense against disease-causing unfriendly microbes.
- Diet Blog -- a blog about filtering the best of diet news and advice -- and combining it with real-world application and opinion. The whole spectrum is covered -- everything from body image to fast food.
- Diet Recipes Blog -- a blog with recipes for all types of food -- from chicken to vegetable, from snacks to meal -- all with fewer than 200 calories per serving.
- Eat Air: A Vegan Food Blog -- a blog offers a lot of resources for those on a vegan diet, from gourmet vegan recipes to popular restaurants that serve vegan foods.
- Eating Fabulous -- a blog about tasty and healthy foods. It also gives you the functions of those food and how they can help in your body.
- Food Blog Search -- not a blog, but a search engine that uses Google technology to help visitors search for recipes in more than 2,000 hand-selected, high quality food blogs.
- The F-Word.org: Food, Fat, Feminism -- strives to provide a platform to discuss the circuitous relationships between women, food, power, body image and weight -- an eating disorders awareness and education site that also discusses related issues of weight-based discrimination and body size acceptance.
- The Healthy Food Review -- healthy food reviews (find out what food products are worth opening your wallet for), healthy eating and lifestyle issues, plus fitness tips and resources for healthy eating and living. Readers can send questions to "Ask The Coach" posts. From Melanie R. Jordan, Health Coach.
- Healthy Snacks Blog -- a blog for sharing ideas and info about healthy snacking -- snacks that we love and be healthy, lose weight, and not feel guilty, all at the same time.
- Healthy Snacks for Kids -- a blog written by a couple of parents who want to share some healthy snacks for kids ideas that they found very helpful and still do -- with the idea that the more ideas we can share on healthy snacks the better it is for everyone's kids.
- Junkfood Science -- critical examinations of studies and news on food, weight, health, and healthcare that mainstream media misses. Debunks popular myths, explains science, and exposes fraud that affects your health. For readers not afraid to question and think critically to get to the truth.
- Laurel on Health Food -- blog about nutrition, healthy eating, and health food. It summarizes articles in the news, lists healthy recipes, offers tips and personal feedback on healthy eating, and reports on nutritional research.
- Let's Get Wokking -- a food blog is by a stay-at-home mom. There are lots of simple and easy to follow recipes. She puts in a lot of love and passion in the food she prepares. A blog for those who struggle with what to cook for their family, especially their kids.
- My Wooden Spoon -- a food blog, with lots of recipes and other cooking-related information and resources.
- The Nutrition Help Blog -- ff you have ever questioned the common nutrition wisdom of eating multiple meals ever day, or have ever questioned the meanings of the words "health" or "metabolism" than this blog is for you. From Brad Pilon, a nutrition professional with more than seven years experience in the nutritional supplement industry.
- 101 Cookbooks -- a recipe blog chronicling a large cookbook collection, one recipe at a time -- primarily featuring healthy, vegetarian recipes - with the occasional sweet treat thrown in.
- Serious Eats: A Food Blog and Community -- focused on celebrating and sharing food enthusiasm through blogs and online community -- with compelling original and acquired food video, and spirited, inclusive, conversations about all things food- and drink-related.
- Simply Recipes Food and Cooking Blog -- a few hundred recipes, all tested by the author, gathered from old family recipes, others are original, and still others are from cookbooks, magazines, and newspaper clippings collected over the past 30 years..
- A Sizeable Apple -- this blog discusses well-being in smaller, more manageable steps for the average woman- with budget limitations and a busy schedule, looking to better her lifestyle. Blog mentality is being healthy means making smart choices and being confident with those choices.
- A Weight Lifted: Healthy Weight Loss Blog for Women Tired of Dieting -- a blog that encourages a practical, livable healthy "non-diet" lifestyle approach to weight loss.
- Vegan Resources -- a blog about living the Vegan lifestyle. Includes Vegan recipes, Vegan news, and other resources for Vegans.
- vegetarian on the cheap -- a blog from a vegetarian artist and writer who has juggled her love for food, the drive to stay organic, and her conscience regarding the impact of her diet on the planet within the confines of a sometimes tight budget.
- Veggie Meal Plans -- a vegetarian food blog has tons of great recipes -- from chocolate sesame cookies to spinach and artichoke filo pastries.
Empowering Nutrition, Diet, and Recipe Links
- All Recipes -- has more than 40,000 free recipes -- all created, tested, reviewed and approved by home cooks worldwide -- including chicken, cookies, desserts, salads, soups and stews, and much more.
- American Dietetic Association -- the world's largest organization of food and nutrition professionals. The ADA is committed to improving the nation's health and advancing the profession of dietetics through research, education, and advocacy.
- Calorie Control Council -- where you'll find information on cutting calories and fat in your diet, achieving and maintaining a healthy weight, your favorite low-calorie, and reduced-fat foods and beverages (and the ingredients that make them possible), as well as calorie counters and other key news and information.
- Cooks.com -- a massive recipe site, with categories of recipes that include: appetizers, beverages, breads/cakes, candies, casseroles, cookies, desserts/pies, international, Italian/Mexican, main dishes, meats/fish, pastas/sausces, soups/salads, and more.
- Dietary Supplement Information Bureau -- a non-profit organization that promotes the responsible use of vitamins, minerals, herbs, and specialty supplements -- science-based vitamin and supplement information.
- Eat Well Guide -- a free online directory for anyone in search of fresh, locally grown and sustainably produced food in the United States and Canada -- including thousands of listings for family farms, restaurants, farmers' markets, grocery stores, Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) programs, U-pick orchards, and more.
- Eat Wild -- a great source for larning more about safe, healthy, natural and nutritious grass-fed beef, lamb, goats, bison, poultry, pork, dairy, and other wild edibles. Includes links to local farms that sell all-natural, delicious, grass-fed products.
- Fast Food Facts -- your source for the most up-to-date nutritional information on your favorite fast food for dieting and weight control; sugar levels for diabetics; carbs (carbohydrate) for low-carb dieters; and health & nutrition class projects for students and teachers.
- FoodRoutes -- a national non-profit dedicated to reintroducing Americans to their food -- the seeds it grows from, the farmers who produce it, and the routes that carry it from the fields to our tables.
- Fruits & Veggies Matter -- a U.S. government Website that, as the title implies, is all about the importance of eating a variety of fruits and vegetables. Includes the benefits of fruits and veggies, the fruit and and vegetable of the month, fruite and veggie recipes, and other useful tools.
- HealthCastle.com: Simply Better Health -- where better to get nutrition advice than from a site whose mission is to empower people to manage their health through healthy eating. And even better, all advice is written by registered dietitians. Visitors can browse through a comprehensive collection of nutrition information, search its fun and practical nutrition tips archive, look for super food myths, find dietary supplement information, and read about nutritional management of common health conditions.
- Healthy Weight Network -- your connection to research -- on obesity, eating disorders, dieting, weight loss or gain -- and practical guidelines for healthy living at any size... site's mission is to search for truth and understanding, investigate misinformation, and openly report controversies and challenges.
- Herb Research Foundation -- primary mission of this site is to foster improved world health and well being through the informed use of herbs -- a source of accurate, science-based information on the health benefits and safety of herbs.
- Living and Raw Foods -- one of the largest online communities and sources of information and recipes on the Internet for the living and raw food vegetarian (and vegan) based diet.
- MassRecipes.com -- features a powerful search engine to guide users through the hundreds of thousands of recipes in just about all categories, including appetizers, beverages, breads/cakes, candies, casseroles, cookies, desserts/pies, meats/fish, and everything else. You can also browse recipes by category.
- MyPyramid.gov -- from the U.S. Department of Agriculture, this site offers personalized eating plans, interactive tools to help you plan and assess your food choices, and advice to help you make the best food choices based on your daily calroie and nutrition needs. Includes a newsletter, meal planner, and much more.
- Office of Dietary Supplements -- the mission of this site is to strengthen knowledge and understanding of dietary supplements by evaluating scientific information, stimulating and supporting research, disseminating research results, and educating the public to foster an enhanced quality of life and health for the U.S. population.
- Naturally Savvy: Get Savvy About Natural and Organic Living -- information-based site designed to inform visitors on the basics of natural health -- to help you understand the importance of living a naturally healthy lifestyle. Living a naturally healthy lifestyle refers to using and consuming natural and organic products.
- NutritionData: KNow What You Eat -- one of the most authoritative and useful sources of nutritional analysis on the Web. Find nutrition facts, including food labels, calories, nutritional information and analysis that helps promote healthy eating by telling you about the foods you eat.
- RecipeSource -- one of the oldest recipe sites on the Internet, with more than 70,000 recipes -- organized by region (Africa & Middle East, Asia and Pacific Ocean, Europe, North & South America) and type (main dishes, soups, baked goods, snacks, sweets and dessrts).
- SparkPeople -- a comprehensive diet and nutirion lifestyle site whose mission is to spark millions of people to reach their goals and lead healthier, longer lives. The site offers nutrition, health, and fitness tools, support, and resources that are all totally free (unlike some of the branded diet sites).
- SparkRecipes -- healthy recipes from SparkPeople... including low-fat and low-carb recipes for poulty, beef/pork, fish, appetizers, side items, snacks, and desserts -- as well as recipes for vegetarians. All recipes are free.
- VegTaste -- a community for vegetarians and vegans -- or anyone interested in the healthy veggie lifestyle -- to share their experiences, news, stories, and recipes.
More coming soon!
Empowering Nutrition, Diet, and Recipe BooksFEATURED DIET/NUTRITION BOOK:
- Eat Right 4 Your Type: The Individualized Diet Solution to Staying Healthy, Living Longer & Achieving Your Ideal Weight, by Dr. Peter J. D'Adamo and Catherine Whitney. If you're tired of all the fad diets, this book could be what you are seeking. In it, Dr. D'Adamo explains that your blood type is an evolutionary marker that tells you which foods you'll process best, and which will be useless calories. He covers the entire range for each of the four blood types, from entrees to condiments and seasonings.
- The All-New Atkins Advantage: The 12-Week Low-Carb Program to Lose Weight, Achieve Peak Fitness and Health, and Maximize Your Willpower to Reach Life Goals, by Stuart L. Trager and Colette Heimowitz.
- Becoming Vegan: The Complete Guide to Adopting a Healthy Plant-Based Diet, by Brenda Davis and Vesanto Melina.
- The Best Life Diet, by Bob Greene.
- The Brain Diet: The Connection Between Nutrition, Mental Health, and Intelligence, by Alan C. Logan.
- Eating Mindfully: How to End Mindless Eating and Enjoy a Balanced Relationship with Food, by Susan Albers.
- The Great American Detox Diet: Feel Better, Look Better, and Lose Weight by Cleaning Up Your Diet, by Alex Jamieson.
- The Fast Track Detox Diet: Boost Metabolism, Get Rid of Fattening Toxins, Jump-Start Weight Loss and Keep the Pounds Off for Good, by Ann Louise Gittleman.
- Fat Flush Plan, by Ann Louise Gittleman.
- Flat Belly Diet, by Liz Vaccariello and Cynthia Sass.
- The Food Revolution: How Your Diet Can Help Save Your Life and Our World, by John Robbins.
- Get the Sugar Out: 501 Simple Ways to Cut the Sugar Out of Any Diet, by Ann Louise Gittleman.
- Good Calories, Bad Calories: Fats, Carbs, and the Controversial Science of Diet and Health, by Gary Taubes.
- Healthiest Meals on Earth: The Surprising, Unbiased Truth About What Meals to Eat and Why, by Jonny Bowden.
- Juicing, Fasting, and Detoxing for Life: Unleash the Healing Power of Fresh Juices and Cleansing Diets, by Cherie Calbom and John Calbom.
- The Mediterranean Heart Diet: How It Works and How to Reap the Health Benefits, with Recipes to Get You Started, by Helen V. Fisher and Cynthia Thomson.
- The New Becoming Vegetarian: The Essential Guide To A Healthy Vegetarian Diet, by Vesanto Melina and Brenda Davis.
- The 100 Year Lifestyle: Dr. Plasker's Breakthrough Solution for Living Your Best Life -- Every Day of Your Life!, by Eric Plasker.
- Slim for Life, by Dr. Gillian McKeith.
- The South Beach Diet: The Delicious, Doctor-Designed, Foolproof Plan for Fast and Healthy Weight Loss, by Arthur Agatston.
- SuperFoods Rx: Fourteen Foods That Will Change Your Life, by Steven G. Pratt and Kathy Matthews.
- 21 Pounds in 21 Days: The Martha's Vineyard Diet Detox, by Roni Deluz and James Hester.
- You Are What You Eat: The Plan That Will Change Your Life, by Gillian McKeith.
- Joy of Cooking: 75th Anniversary Edition, by Irma Rombauer, Marion Rombauer Becker, and Ethan Becker. Simply the greatest teaching cookbook ever written -- and selected by The New York Public Library as one of the 150 most important and influential books of the twentieth century. This book has taught tens of millions of people to cook, helped feed and delight millions beyond that, answered countless kitchen and food questions, and averted many a cooking crisis.
- The America's Test Kitchen Family Baking Book.
- The Anti-Inflammation Diet and Recipe Book: Protect Yourself and Your Family from Heart Disease, Arthritis, Diabetes, Allergies -- and More, by Jessica K. Black.
- The Best 30-Minute Recipe.
- Betty Crocker Cooking Basics: Recipes and Tips to Cook with Confidence.
- The Eat-Clean Diet Cookbook: Great-Tasting Recipes That Keep You Lean, by Tosca Reno.
- Fix, Freeze, Feast: More Than 125 Recipes to Prepare in Bulk and by the Serving, by Kati Neville and Lindsay Tkacsik.
- The Food You Crave: Luscious Recipes for a Healthy Life, by Ellie Krieger.
- Healthiest Meals on Earth: The Surprising, Unbiased Truth About What Meals to Eat and Why, by Jonny Bowden.
- How to Grill: The Complete Illustrated Book of Barbecue Techniques, by Steven Raichlen.
- The Joy of Vegan Baking: The Compassionate Cooks' Traditional Treats and Sinful Sweets, by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau.
- The New Food Lover's Companion, by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst.
- O, The Oprah Magazine Cookbook.
- Super Natural Cooking: Five Ways To Incorporate Whole and Natural Ingredients into Your Cooking, by Heidi Swanson.
- 12 Best Foods Cookbook: Over 200 Recipes Featuring The 12 Healthiest Foods, by Dana Jacobi.
- 200 Low-Carb Slow Cooker Recipes: Healthy Dinners That Are Ready When You Are!, by Dana Carpender.
- The World's Healthiest Foods, Essential Guide for the Healthiest Way of Eating, by George Mateljan.