This section is about giving back to the Earth that sustains us by providing environmental tools for reducing our carbon footprint, promoting healthy green living, and appreciating its glory.
Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where nature may heal and cheer and give strength to the body and soul. -- John Muir
I believe in God, only I spell it Nature. -- Frank Lloyd Wright
Empowering Environmental and Green Living ArticlesGoing Green: 10 Simple Tips to Help Save the Earth -- and Save Some Money at the Same Time, by Randall S. Hansen, Ph.D. How to Reduce Your Carbon Footprint: Five Quick Tips to Green Living, by Randall S. Hansen, Ph.D. More coming soon! In the meantime, don't forget to check out our growing collection of Tranquil Environmental Photos.
Empowering Environmental and Green Living Blogs
- Alternative Energy Blog -- news, views, and strong opinions on alternate energy resources including solar energy, wind power, wave energy, geothermal and other renewable energy sources, as well as news on other energy issues including the end of cheap gas & oil, plug-in hybrid cars, rising fuel prices, clean coal and nuclear power.
- The Earth Blog -- a collection of personal thoughts, ideas and solutions in search of a future for this planet, that provide many of the tools needed to allow people to make a better world for the future -- a world worth living in.
- Eco-Chick -- a green blog written by women ("because Mother Earth is a woman") to enable individuals to clean up their lives also gives each and every person an opportunity to realize their impact natural environment, a principle imperative to real change.
- Ecofriend -- an environmental blog designed to inform and educate consumers who love to possess the latest gadgets and products available in the market and who are also concerned about the environment around them. The main editorial focus of the blog is alternative energy.
- Environmental Graffiti -- covers everything from politics to green living, but specializes particularly in ecology -- an eclectic mix of the most bizarre, funny and interesting environmental news on the planet.
- The Future is Green -- a blog that reflects on the coming of a society that is in balance with nature and the magnitude of the problems in the way; facing the reality that the present world's population has moved beyond the Earth's carrying capacity, the looming peak in world oil production, green alternatives, and the least painful paths to a sustainable society.
- GetWithGreen.com -- provides homeowners, designers, and those in the home construction and remodeling industry with the most in-depth news and information surrounding eco-friendly and sustainable products for home remodel projects.
- Great Green Goods -- a shopping blog that features products created from recycled materials. They find the ordinary as well as the unusual eco-friendly products created from previously used resources.
- Green Daily -- one-stop shop for all things eco-friendly, covering everything from environmental news and politics, to green celebrity gossip and fashion trends, to the emerging green tech industry. Also offers a host of easy, practical, money-saving tips for reducing your impact on the planet.
- Greenthinkers -- an informal forum for ideas and thoughts on how to live a more green life. Its goal is to provide some green ideas out there in hopes of getting ourselves and others to make lifestyle changes that benefit the environment, or at least don't harm it as much.
- Green-Trust.org -- dedicated to teaching people how to live in a renewable, sustainable manner. The authors live off-grid, and develop alternatives like biofuels (methane and biodiesel), home built wind turbines, solar pv (electric) and thermal (hot water), and greywater and rain water recovery and biological filtration.
- GroovyGreen -- a blog about renewable energy and sustainable living -- to get others involved in national and international discussions that directly effect the green movement. Its philosophy is that we can all do a little more to reduce consumption, improve health, and find cleaner alternatives to power the gadgets, cars, and lives we lead today.
- Ideal Bite -- offers bite-sized ideas for light green living -- ideas for real people who lead busy lives and want to make small changes that add up to big results. Its mission is to create a more sustainable world by connecting enlightened companies with responsible consumers who are ready to make small changes that add up.
- inhabitat -- a blog devoted to the future of design, tracking the innovations in technology, practices and materials that are pushing architecture and home design towards a smarter and more sustainable future.
- Low Impact Living -- a blog that wants to help you lower the environmental impact of your home and your daily life -- by helping you find the best green products, practices and service providers to help you achieve your environmental goals.
- Sustainablog: Blogging a Greener World -- provides information on environmental and economic sustainability, green and sustainable business, and environmental politics. Regularly features environmental leaders, experts in alternative energy and green technology, and real people trying to lighten their environmental footprints.
- Top Green Cars -- a blog that shows that going green doesn't mean going slow. It offers a unique perspective about current technologies, alternative fuels, revolutionary concepts and cars that take environmental performance into account.
- TreeHugger -- a blog dedicated to driving sustainability mainstream, striving to be a one-stop shop for green news, solutions, and product information. Discover how to maintain or improve your quality of life while reducing your harmful impact on the earth -- without compromising your current lifestyle.
Empowering Environmental and Green Living Links
- Body of Grace -- offers more than 12,000 natural and organic, eco-conscious products that honor your body, your soul, and the Earth. You'll find the finest labels in natural skincare, organic bodycare, cruelty free beauty, vegan products, herbal remedies, jewelry, teas, yoga, and meditation items.
- Care2 -- an online community with 9 million members that's mission is about empowering people to lead a healthy and green lifestyle while taking action on important causes such as human rights, animal welfare, and global warming.
- Earth Easy -- is about sustainable living. It offers information, activities and ideas which help us live more simply, efficiently and with less impact on the environment. The site strives to help people reduce our impact on the Earth's resources, help reduce our contribution to global warming, bring more simplicity to our lives, and bring us closer to nature.
- EarthJustice -- a non-profit public interest law firm dedicated to protecting the magnificent places, natural resources, and wildlife of this earth, and to defending the right of all people to a healthy environment. We bring about far-reaching change by enforcing and strengthening environmental laws on behalf of hundreds of organizations, coalitions and communities.
- Easy Green Living Tips -- provides simple, inexpensive, and practical tips for living a greener, more Earth-friendly lifestyle and helping you to reduce your footprint on the environment. The site's goal is to help people see all the ways to become more green.
- Empowering Green Jobs -- where job-seekers who want to make a difference and work in jobs and careers that produce clean energy, reduce our waste and pollution, and otherwise help the environment, can find job opportunities and other tools and resources for green careers, eco-careers.
- Envirolink Network -- a non-profit organization... a grassroots online community that unites hundreds of organizations and volunteers around the world with millions of people in more than 150 countries. EnviroLink is dedicated to providing comprehensive, up-to-date environmental information and news and promoting a sustainable society.
- Freecycle Network -- made up of more than 4,600 groups with more than 6 million members across the globe. It's a grassroots and entirely nonprofit movement of people who are giving (& getting) stuff for free in their own towns. It's all about reuse and keeping good stuff out of landfills.
- Get With Green -- provides home-owners, designers, and those in the home construction and remodeling industry with the most in-depth news and information surrounding eco-friendly and sustainable products for home remodel projects.
- Green Living Ideas -- provides lots of ideas, tips, and information to help you live greener and improve the environmental sustainability of every aspect of your life: home energy, green building and remodeling, cars, food, waste recycling-and everything in between.
- Green Living Journal -- publishing environmental news since 1990, its focus is on the practical and positive ways readers can help the environment or improve their health. Topics include organic gardening, green building, eco-careers, socially responsible investing, and more.
- Green Living Tips -- seeks to provide Earth-friendly living guides and environmental news to those wanting to understand the environmental challenges we face and how we can address those challenges as individuals; through changes in lifestyle and consumption patterns.
- GreenTreks -- its mission is to make the health of the environment an intrinsic part of everyday life and to inspire individuals to make informed decisions that effect positive environmental change through stories produced via through high quality television documentaries, how-to videos, web programs, radio documentaries, and print media.
- Greenopolis -- a social networking site for everyone -- people, communities, organizations, schools, and businesses -- created to engage users on green issues so that they might learn, explore, and participate in an open dialogue about the present and future of the environment. The site's mission is to motivate people to take incremental steps toward a greener lifestyle.
- Planet Green -- from the company behind the Discovery Network, a 24-hour eco-lifestyle television network with a robust online presence and community -- motivating people to take action, and filled with solutions-oriented tips and information that can help you make your life a little (or a lot) greener.
- TreeHugger -- is the leading media outlet dedicated to driving sustainability mainstream. Partial to a modern aesthetic, the site strives to be a one-stop shop for green news, solutions, and product information. A Discovery Communications site (and sister to Planet Green).
- Yahoo! Green -- news, blogs, and tools for living a green life, with sections on buying a fuel-efficient car, commuting, saving energy, stopping junk mail, finding a green job, recycling, reusing, and more.
- We Can Solve It -- a project of The Alliance for Climate Protection, a nonprofit, nonpartisan effort founded by Nobel laureate and former Vice President Al Gore. The goal of the Alliance is to build a movement that creates the political will to solve the climate crisis -- in part through repowering America with 100 percent of its electricity from clean energy sources within 10 years.
Empowering Environmental and Green Living BooksFEATURED ENVIRONMENTAL BOOK:
- Easy Green Living: The Ultimate Guide to Simple, Eco-Friendly Choices for You and Your Home, by Renee Loux. This book shows readers that being green at home is easy, affordable, and better in every sense of the word. She discusses the daily choices we face that can keep the home, personal care, and beauty routines free of toxins. She exposes the dirt on cleaning products and common hazardous ingredients and reveals her recommendations for greener options.
- The Better World Handbook: Small Changes That Make A Big Difference, by Ellis Jones, Ross Haenfler, and Brett Johnson.
- Big Green Purse: Use Your Spending Power to Create a Cleaner, Greener World, by Diane MacEachern.
- The Complete Idiot's Guide to Green Living, bby Trish Riley.
- Cool Green Stuff: A Guide to Finding Great Recycled, Sustainable, Renewable Objects You Will Love, by Dave Evans.
- Everything Green Living Book: Easy Ways to Conserve Energy, Protect Your Family's Health, and Help Save the Environment, by Diane Gow-McDilda.
- 50 Plus One Tips for Going Green, by Alicia Marie Smith.
- Generation Green: The Ultimate Teen Guide to Living an Eco-Friendly Life, by Linda Sivertsen and Tosh Sivertsen.
- Go Green, Live Rich: 50 Simple Ways to Save the Earth and Get Rich Trying, by David Bach.
- Gorgeously Green: 8 Simple Steps to an Earth-Friendly Life, by Sophie Uliano.
- The Green Book: The Everyday Guide to Saving the Planet One Simple Step at a Time, by Elizabeth Rogers and Thomas M. Kostigen.
- Green Guide: The Complete Reference for Consuming Wisely.
- Green Living: The E Magazine Handbook for Living Lightly on the Earth, from the editors at E Magazine.
- Green Living Handbook: A 6 Step Program to Create an Environmentally Sustainable Lifestyle, by David Gershon.
- It's Easy Being Green: A Handbook for Earth-Friendly Living, by Crissy Trask.
- The Lazy Environmentalist: Your Guide to Easy, Stylish, Green Living, by Josh Dorfman.
- Living Like Ed: A Guide to the Eco-Friendly Life, by Ed Begley Jr.
- Low Carbon Diet: A 30 Day Program to Lose 5000 Pounds -- Be Part of the Global Warming Solution!, by David Gershon.
- Ready, Set, Green: Eight Weeks to Modern Eco-Living, by Graham Hill and Meaghan O'Neill.
- True Green at Work: 100 Ways You Can Make the Environment Your Business, by Kim Mckay, Jenny Bonnin, and Tim Wallace.
- True Green: 100 Everyday Ways you Can Contribute to a Healthier Planet, by Kim Mckay and Jenny Bonnin.
- Wake Up and Smell the Planet: The Non-Pompous, Non-Preachy Grist Guide to Greening Your Day, from the editors at Grist Magazine.
- When the Rivers Run Dry: Water--The Defining Crisis of the Twenty-first Century, by Fred Pearce.