Work plays an important role in our lives. Find the tools and resources you need to lead a balanced life, including work you love, work-life balance, and time management.
Most of us are doing the best we can to find whatever the right balance is... For me, that balance is family, work, and service. -- Hillary Rodham Clinton Until you value yourself, you will not value your time. Until you value your time, you will not do anything with it. -- M. Scott Peck Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful. -- Herman Cain
Because work plays such an important role in our lives, we cannot talk about leading a happy and healthy life without talking about the importance of working in a job and career you love, striving for ways to keep your work life and personal life in balance, participating in workplace wellness programs, and managing your time as best you can so that you have time for work, family, friends, and -- most importantly -- yourself. When we do what we love and love what we do, it deepens our sense of purpose, and as long as we are seeking balance in our lives, it strengthens our wellness.
Empowering Work-Life-Career Balance and Time Management ArticlesHow to Enjoy Your Work and Improve Your Health: Tips for Improving Job Satisfaction, by Randall S. Hansen, Ph.D. Learn the value to your health of improving your job satisfaction. Tips for a Successful Career -- Loving Your Work and Life, by Randall S. Hansen, Ph.D. Tips for a life of career satisfaction and fulfillment. More coming soon!
Empowering Work-Life-Career Balance and Time Management Blogs
- Corporate Voices for Working Families -- a blog relating to details about the actions to improve the lives of all working families by developing and advancing innovative and sustainable policies that have bipartisan support built through collaboration among the private sector, government and other stakeholders.
- Effective Time Management Blog -- latest news on becoming more effective with your use of time.
- Inspiration Nation -- dedicated to the theme of inspiration, exploring how to consistently activate our innate power to inspire ourselves and everyone we touch. A community is made up of "inspired thinkers and doers who want to create more JOY in their lives, experience relentless PASSION for their work, and INSPIRE themselves and everyone around them."
- Jungle of Life -- life can seem like a jungle sometimes, overgrown with all the things that are in our lives. The animals that consume us (debt, busy-ness, work, family, etc.) lurking around every corner, and this blog has tips to help tame this jungle we call our lives.
- Kathie Lingle's Work-Life Blog -- this blog is intended to provide a deeper understanding of how work, family and community intersect and to clarify the meaning of work-life and to provide commentary and news on the topic of work-life effectiveness as a business strategy.
- The Map Maker: Creating a Life of Meaning, Abundance, and Passion -- Ttis blog is based on M.A.P. (Meaning, Abundance, and Passion), three key components in creating a vibrant, meaningful, sustainable life. Meaning and passion provide the energy and fuel, while abundance focuses on creating a sustainable reality. From career guru Curt Rosengren.
- The Mindset of Success -- Thoughts, news, stories, and "ah-ha" moments by Dr. Larina Kase about the key beliefs and actions for peak performance in business and life.
- Opportunity at Work: Creating Jobs for a Stronger Economy -- a blog based on the idea that economic and productivity growth fairly shared is essential to the nation's continued progress. From the Center for Law and Social Policy (CLASP), a national non-profit that works to improve the lives of l ow-income people.
- The Path of True Balance -- dedicated to topics about extreme self care, personal growth and creating a luscious well balanced life.
- Productivity Today -- a blog about helping people find the time for success, including tips on work-life balance, organization, stress management, multi-tasking, and more.
- Rock Your Day -- a work-life balance blog in which you'll learn how to stomp stress flat and get your life balanced. You'll learn how to start making your life what you want it to be, rather than running around like a hamster in a wheel, hoping the pace of life will let up for a while.
- Work + Life Fit -- the mission of this blog is to positively change the cultural conversation to show that work and life can fit together in a way that benefits both the individual and the organization.
- Work It: A Blog For Working Moms -- a blog written by women -- sharing their stories -- regarding their lives as mothers, wives, workers, managers, etc.
- Work It, Mom! Blog -- a blog that discusses issues affecting working moms, related information from the site's community of moms. It is a place where working moms can connect, find support, share advice, and destress.
Empowering Work-Life-Career Balance and Time Management Links
- The Comfortable Life -- an interesting site, with a plethora of articles for making life more comfortable, with topics such as work and family life balance, career development, creativity, home business development, personal finances, and much more. No cost to job-seekers.
- Employee Wellness Program -- really an amazing collection of workplace resources -- including a massive wellness library (covering topics such as starting a workplace wellness program, nutrition and fitness posters, wellness glossary), wellness toolkits, and wellness forum. From an independent wellness agency that represents more than 125 different wellness companies.
- The Simple Living Network -- a site designed to help you simplify your life -- not in self-inflicted deprivstion, but living an examined life in which you have determined what is most important and discarded all the rest -- by providing resources, tools, and examples for conscious, simple, healthy, and restorative living.
- WorkLifeBalance.com -- resources to help both employers and people find the right balance between work and life -- defining work-life balance as something that varies over time, but at its core are the concepts of achievement and enjoyment; achievement and satisfaction in work done well and having the time to apreciate the joy of life. More coming soon!
Empowering Work-Life-Career Balance and Time Management BooksFEATURED LIFE BALANCE BOOK:
A Life in Balance: Nourishing the Four Roots of True Happiness, by Kathleen Hall. A guided journey to joy, peace, and an intentional life grounded in the four roots of the SELF: Serenity, finding what brings us peace, and channeling it into everything we do; Exercise, aligning the body with energy and health through walking, yoga, martial arts, and more; Love, building community and relationships that heal others as well as ourselves; Food, paying attention not just to what we eat, but to what we experience through all our senses. OTHER LIFE BALANCE BOOKS:
- Activate YOUR Passion, Create YOUR Career: No Matter Who You Are, by Madison Hildebrand.
- Alter Your Life: Overbooked? Overworked? Overwhelmed?, by Kathleen Hall.
- Being In Balance: 9 Principles for Creating Habits to Match Your Desires, by Wayne W. Dyer.
- Career Quest: A Practical and Spiritual Guide to Finding Your Life's Passion, by Mary Rose Remington.
- Eat That Frog!: 21 Great Ways to Stop Procrastinating and Get More Done in Less Time, by Brian Tracy.
- Fun Is Good: How To Create Joy & Passion in Your Workplace & Career, by Mike Veeck and Pete Williams.
- A Journey of Work-Life Renewal: The Power to Recharge & Rekindle Passion in Your Life, by Bonnie Michaels and Michael Seef.
- Lifebalance, by Linda Eyre and Richard Eyre.
- Life Is Not Work, Work Is Not Life: Simple Reminders for Finding Balance in a 24/7 World, by Robert K. Johnston and J. Walker Smith.
- Life Makeovers: 52 Practical & Inspiring Ways to Improve Your Life One Week at a Time, by Cheryl Richardson.
- Live the Life You Love: In Ten Easy Step-By Step Lessons, by Barbara Sher.
- The Myth of Multitasking: How "Doing It All" Gets Nothing Done, by Dave Crenshaw.
- Overloaded? From Overload to Balanced Living. Taking Control of Work and Information Overload, by Baha Habashy and Margaret Habashy.
- Power of An Hour: Business and Life Mastery in One Hour A Week, by Dave Lakhani.
- Running on Plenty at Work: Renewal Strategies for Individuals, by Krista Kurth.
- Simplify Your Work Life: Ways to Change the Way You Work so You Have More Time to Live, by Elaine St. James.
- Stop Living Your Job, Start Living Your Life: 85 Simple Strategies to Achieve Work/Life Balance, by Andrea Molloy.
- Striking a Balance: Work, Family, Life, by Robert W. Drago.
- Take Time for Your Life, by Cheryl Richardson.
- The 25 Best Time Management Tools & Techniques: How to Get More Done Without Driving Yourself Crazy, by Pamela Dodd and Doug Sundheim.
- Why Work Sucks and How to Fix It: No Schedules, No Meetings, No Joke--the Simple Change that Can Make Your Job Terrific, by Cali Ressler and Jody Thompson.
- Work-Life Balance, by Gordon Lamont and Ronni Lamont.
- Your Survival Strategies Are Killing You: The Eight Principles You Must Follow To Thrive in Life and Work, by Martha Borst.